ETIQUETTE | In Exclusive Restaurant
Business lunch, banquet, wedding, dinner for two or elegant brunch with group of friends in exclusive place? If you are interested in being taken seriously by a real gentleman that is well established with a highly educated or high income social network of friends, then you should train yourself accordingly. Follow the rules below!
*In this article I skiped any behavior related to cultural or region specificity. The article concerns the general etiquette standards adopted in exclusive restaurants in european & formal style around the world.
- Going to some elegant restaurant you need to remember about dress code. Elegant restaurant means elegant and fresh style. No jeans, no too short dresses. Clothes ironed and have a good fit.
- Mostly for such a places it's neccessary to make a reservation. If it's gonna be surprise for invited person - at least inform your guest to dress accordingly to style of place.
- Coats or jackets leave in cloakroom. Especially in winter.
- Before first course arrive napkin should go on the lap.
- Once you need to leave the chair before last course - napkin goes on the chair seat after standing up.
- After last course leave napkin on the left hand side of your plate.
- Using the napkin to wipe yourself: neatly with the corners of napkin to the corners of mouth.
- Guest is always ordering as a first, host last.
- On the table shouldn't be any car keys, purses or mobile phones. If you are expecting some important call – inform other person from instance and leave touchscreen side of the phone down. Purse/clutch put on other chair or ask waiter where you can put it.
- No elbows on the table.
- Sit up straight, don't slouch.
- Don't talk during chewing the food. First swallow, then talk.
- Always thank the waiter after any form of assistance.
- If you have running nose – go to the bathroom to blow it but never in dining room. The same with correcting the make-up.
- If you see first time some kind of dish or cultery (sometimes it happen especially abroad) and you have no idea how to eat it - just ask or follow the host if you have the same dishes. It's nothing bad to not know and you can avoid making show ;)
- Always start using outer cultery as a first then going to inside.
I'm not finished (resting/pause) – 8:20 o'clock
I'm done with a meal – 4:20 o'clock
- Choosing the wine ask Sommelier (expert in restaurant from serving a wine) for a reccomendation unless you're a wine expert.
- Never bring up the price of bottle loudly – if you have planned budget you'd better point the bottles with your price range on the menu.
- Mostly waiter is pouring the glasses during the meal even if the bottle is next to you. No need to do it by your own.
- Asking for bill you should wait for waiter or silently show a gesture. Never shout through half of restaurant.
- Usually host is paying the bill but if you are with group of friends – lay down earlier who pays, etc.