ETIQUETTE | Guide for glassware

Having home bar with alkohols is getting more and more common. As far as we are inviting guests, it's very good to offer something stronger to drink. Good glass looks elegant but also it brings out the flavor. All shapes of glasses are adapted to requirements of specific kind of alkohol (temperature, oxidation, bubbles, aroma) so the shape is not random.


Stemware has a bowl that rests on a stem, anchored by a foot. 
The stem provides a way to hold cool drinks without warming the contents of the bowl. (The exception is the brandy snifter, which is cradled in the hand to warm the brandy and enhance its flavor.)

Water Goblet
The largest vessel in a set of stemware (usually contains about 200-250 ml). Goblet is using always in formal dining, especially for multi-course menu.

Red wine
Glasses are big (about 150-250 ml) slightly tapered upwards. Drinking, we hold the glass for long stem (NOT for bowl) to not heat the temperature  of wine. Red wine should be poured to 1/3 of glass (in order to comfortable spin).

White wine

Glasses are similar to those for red wine but smaller (about 100 ml). We are pouring no more than half of glass.

Dessert wine

Dessert wine is a sweet-tasting wine with a high alcohol content. A few ounces are served in a glass made with a slightly smaller bowl than a white wine glass.

Interesting thing about glasses for wine is that best quality material is crystal. These ones are mostly more decorative and shape is not always so classical. For some people they can seem to be old-fashioned but personally I love to drink from crystal goblet..

Champagne & sparkling wine

FLUTE shape - slender, long glass. During drinking - held for stem, not bowl. Champagne poured in to 3/4 the amount of glass. Typicall volume is about 200 ml.

COUPE shape - very popular on weddings or more magnificient parties for champagne tower.  The coupe is now more commonly used for certain cocktails such as daiquiris

Cocktail glasses

Stemmed triangle shape glass with an inverted cone bowl. Standard glass have rounded or flat bottoms and contains more-less 200 ml. 

Martini glass  

One of cocktail glasses. Reminds standard cocktail glass, but the difference is that bowl is fully conical at the bottom and a bit larger and wider (typical volume - 250 ml)

Margarita glass 

Specific glass for this cocktail, variant of champagne coupe glass. Shape is particularly associated with blended fruits. The rim of glass should be rubbed with salt. Typicall volume: 250 ml

Hurricane glass 

Is a glass tumbler which typically can contain 20 fluid ounces (600 ml). It is used to serve mixed drinks.


Snifter (also called brandy sniftercognac glass, or balloon
These are low, bulging glasses with a capacity of 230 ml, but alcohol is poured only 20-40 ml.  A glass bowl holds in hand to heat the alcohol.  True gourmets drink cognac alone, but it can also be administered to desserts. Snifter is aso using to drink beers, especially aromatic ones.

Sherry glass 
Generally used for serving aromatic alcoholic beverages, such as sherryportaperitifs, and liqueurs, and layered shooters. Usuall capacity of glass is 60 ml.

Cordial glasses 

Small, stemmed glasses generally used to serve after-dinner liqueurs.. The use of fine cordial glasses lends a touch of elegance to any gathering. Cordial glasses are smaller than a typical wine glass, holding approximately one and a half ounces (± 45 ml) and are often (though certainly not always) made with thinner, more delicate glass.


reservoir glass with a small bulge at the bottom to mark the dose. These would commonly have a short thick stem and faceting to enhance the absinthe's appearance. Glasses were marked with a dose line, showing how much absinthe should be poured into them. With glass should be used special spoon to dissolve a sugar cube in a glass of absinthe, usually to sweeten the drink and counteract its mild bitterness

Old Fashioned glasslowball glass, or rocks glass
Is a short tumbler used for serving an alcoholic beverage, such as whisky, with ice cubes (“on the rocks”). typically have a wide brim and a thick base (or tunc), Old Fashioned glasses usually contain
180–300 ml. A double Old Fashioned glass contains 350–470 ml.

 highball glass
A glass tumbler, contains 240 to 350 millilitres. It is used to serve highball cocktails and other mixed drinks.

collins glass 
Is a glass tumbler which typically will contain 300 to 410 millilitres. It is used to serve mixed drinks. It is cylindrical in shape and narrower than a highball glass.

Table-glass or granyonyi stakan
Is a type of drinkware made from especially hard and thick glass and having a faceted form. It is a very widespread form of drinking glass in Russia and the former Soviet UnionAn image of granyonyi stakan in popular culture is associated either with vodka and pickled cucumbers, or with tea and podstakannik.

shot glass called also Polny glass 

Is a small glass designed to hold or measure spirits or liquor, which is either drunk straight from the glass ("a shot") or poured into a cocktail.
They are 3 sizes of shot glass (exact size depends on country):
small - between 20-30 ml
single - between 20-50 ml
double - 40-100 ml
 Different shaped glasses are used to accentuate the unique characteristics of different styles of wine.

Beer stein 
Traditional beer mugs made out of stoneware, or specifically ornamental beer mugs that are usually sold as souvenirs or collectiblesSteins usually come in sizes of a half litre or a full litre (or comparable historic sizes). Beer mugs are typical for Oktoberfest.

pilsner glass 

Used for many types of light beers Pilsner glasses are generally smaller than a pint glass, usually in 200 ml, 250 ml, 300 ml, 330 ml or 400 ml sizes (in Europe 500ml ones are not rare). They are tall, slender and tapered. The slender glass will reveal the colour, and carbonation of the beer,and the broad top will help maintain a beer headWe have three types of pint glasses: standard, footed and exaggerated.

Pint glass

Conical (or sleevers) Also called a "shaker pint" in the United States. Typical capacity is 568 ml. Types of pint glasses:

  • Conical (or sleevers) glasses are shaped, as the name suggests, as an inverted truncated cone. Also called a "shaker pint" in the United States, as the glass can be used as one half of a Boston shaker. The most common size found in the US, holds more than 450 ml
  • The nonik (or nonic, pronounced "no-nick") or "straight glass" a variation on the conical design, where the glass bulges out a couple of inches from the top. Why? This is partly for improved grip, partly to prevent the glasses from sticking together when stacked, and partly to give strength and stop the rim from becoming chipped or "nicked"
  • Tulip is a more modern glass having a taller shape, flaring out towards the top. these designs are more commonly associated with continental lagers or promotional campaigns by breweries, and are frequently marked with the beer's label.
  • Jug glasses, or "dimple mugs", are shaped more like a large mug with a handle. They are moulded with a grid pattern of thickened glass on the outside, somewhat resembling the segmentation of a Mills bomb.  Dimpled glasses are now rarer than the other types and are regarded as more traditional.This sort of glass is also known as a "Handle" or "Jug" due to the handle on the glass.
Weizen glass
 is used to serve wheat beer. Originating in Germany the glass is narrow at the bottom and slightly wider at the top; the width both releasing aroma, and providing room for the often thick, fluffy heads. It tends to be taller than a pint glass, and generally holds 500 millilitres with room for foam or "head". In some countries, such as Belgium, the glass may be 250 ml or 330 ml.


Having so much options to choose considering buying suitable set of glasses may be problem. As far as home bars are popular - still it's unnecessary to buy whole glass tableware. Of course, there are people who have home bars with whole equipment, special table and all kinds of alkohol and I agree - it's impressive, but mostly those are summer houses for many guests. Sets of glasses are depending on the preferences.

Answer for those questions:
2. What kind of alkohols you drink the most? No need to buy e.g. both kind of glasses for wine once you definitelly prefer red.
3. How many people (who are drinking) are living in your home and how many guests usually are comming to your home by once? If you are celebrating with your friends in your home quite often - it's good to invest in some set but if not - just buy basic one.
4. What is your housing situation? Are you living in your own apartment or just temporary? If temporary - no need to buy so many fragile things - there is nothing worse than removal with box full of glasses...

wine glasses (if you're drinking both equally - better to buy set for red wine, bigger ones); champagne flutes OR coupes (once you're drinking cocktails - can be used for both);
It's good to invest in some tumblers (can be used to cocktails but also for beer.

At the end - we can only say CHEERS! SALUT! PROST! NA ZDROWIE!